There are several different types of IQ or general mental ability tests. In general they are trying to measure how quickly and accurately you can solve problems, to give an indication of raw intellect.
The most complex IQ test is a series of tests that can take several hours to complete and can have up to 16 subtests within it.
There are diagrammatic IQ tests which test your ability to spatially recognise patterns and rotate objects and there are more general problem solving IQ tests.
General Mental Ability IQ Tests
There are general mental ability (GMA) IQ tests that measure your ability to quickly solve a variety of different problems from verbal, to numeric to diagrammatic.
Sample and practice IQ items:
If it takes 2 hours to drive to City A and the city is 120km away, what speed was the vehicle travelling at?
If Sally sells more tickets than Betty and Betty sells more tickets than Jodie, who sells the most if we compare Sally and Jodie?
The words “inclusive” and “exclusive” have:
- If Bob sold 15 apples in a working week, what is the average number of apples he sells each day?
- “Pig is to pork” as “Cow is to _____”:
If you have a cube which is 5m x 5m x 5m, what is the cubic metres this container would hold?
The acronym RSVP originally came from the French term Répondez s’il vous plaît – True or False?
“Boat is to water” therefore “Plane is to _____”
The following series of numbers contains one number that does not fit the pattern set by the others. What number does not fit? 3, 5, 7, 11, 14, 17
The word PARTICULAR is the opposite of:
- The same meaning
- Different meanings
- Are the opposite in meaning
Answers to the above IQ Ability Test:
- 3 – there are 5 days in a working week, so you divide 15 by 5 = 3
- Beef – Pig is the animal pork meat comes from so what meat comes from Cows – Beef
- 60km per hour – Take the number of kms 120 and divide by the number of hours, then you get the kilometres per hour
- Sally – Given Betty sells more than Jodie, and Sally sells more the Betty, therefore Sally must sell more than Jodie
- These words have opposite meanings
- 125 cubic metres – to work this out you multiple each dimension of the cube by the others. 5x5 = 25; 25*5=125
- Air – Boats travel through the water and water goes through a boat's engine, therefore what do planes travel through and what goes through the engine? The Air.
- 14 does not fit, the others are prime numbers, but 14 is not.
- Vague. Particular generally means to be quite specific and exact about what you want, therefore being vague would be the opposite.
Sample Diagrammatic IQ Test Items
For each of the following diagrams, select the item below it which would complete the pattern:
Answers to the above IQ questions